This course picks up where the introductory course Build an Android Chat App from Scratch using XMPP and Smack left off and we go through the entire process of how you send and receive any kind of file in your Smack based Android XMPP Chat App.The technique introduced in this course works well even when your contact is offline and they can retrieve the file as soon as they are online. It also works really well when you are using multiple devices on the same account and in group chats. At the end of the course you will not only have a working Chat App that can send and receive files but you will UNDERSTAND how it is put together, giving you a solid foundation to apply the changes relevant to your specific needs.
What you'll learn
- Understand the basics of the Http File Upload
- Implement Http File Upload in their Android Chat Apps
- The Android plumbing necessary to build real life android Chat Apps
- Anyone who wants to build Android Chat Apps
- Anyone willing to learn how to send and receive files with XMPP in their android Chat Apps
- XMPP Newbies looking to get their feet wet building real life Chat Apps on the android platform.
- Anyone willing to learn how great looking Chat UIs are built.
- Anyone who just finished their first Android Book/Course, willing to have a non trivial intermediate project under their belt.
- Anyone who wants to have a good practical Android project pinned on their CV
- This course is about building an XMPP Client on Android. We do not cover how to setup an XMPP Server. The instructor provides free XMPP Accounts on his server for enrolled students.
Get in touch. We're there for you
If you want to get in touch for any inquiries on the one of our courses , we have somebody always available to answer any of the questions and respond to any need within 24Hrs. We currently offer support under the channels below :
- Blikoon Facebook Page
- Instructor Twitter handle
- Contact us right from the course platform
- Send us a plain old email at support[AT]blikoontech[DOT]com
- Basic understanding of the Java Programming Language
- Basic familiarity with Android Studio and the Android SDK
- Should have a PC or Mac with internet connection
- Should have the Java JDK, Android SDK and Android Studio Installed
- Nothing more , I'll teach and show you anything else you need
Senior Software Engineer at Blikoon Technologies , lead developer of Salama, an android lifestyle app for East Africa based on XMPP and author or the currently most popular tutorial on XMPP and Smack on Android available at our blog page. He started working on XMPP based solutions back in 2013 and couldn't stop since then.