Learn how to build an android XMPP chat app from scratch.We build an android chat app based on XMPP using the Smack Java library in this course. The app is built from scratch and students are guided through the entire process. We start by exploring what XMPP is and the basic building blocks behind it. We then open our IDE and go through the detailed process of building an Android XMPP Chat app that supports sending and receiving (one:one) messages,, adding and removing contacts , managing your contact list , profile pictures and more. All of this backed by a local SQLite database back end to store the data we need locally.
What you'll learn
- Build XMPP Chat Apps on the Android Platform.
- Send ONE:ONE messages with your App and Incorporate Profile Pictures.
- Build Contact List and Friendship Control into your XMPP Chat Apps
- Build Profile Picture Support in your XMPP Chat Apps
- Build great looking Chat UIs for your Android Chat App.
- Roll out an SQLite database backend to save your Contacts and Chat Message Logs.
- Practical Uses of Android Threads and Services
- The Android Plumbing Necessary to Build a Modern Chat App
- Anyone who wants to build Android Chat Apps
- XMPP Newbies looking to get their feet wet building real life Chat Apps on the android platform.
- Anyone willing to learn how great looking Chat UIs are built.
- Anyone who just finished their first Android Book/Course, willing to have a non trivial intermediate project under their belt.
- Anyone who wants to have a good practical Android project pinned on their CV
- This course is about building an XMPP Client on Android. We do not cover how to setup an XMPP Server. The instructor provides free XMPP Accounts on his server for enrolled students.
Get in touch. We're there for you
If you want to get in touch for any inquiries on the one of our courses , we have somebody always available to answer any of the questions and respond to any need within 24Hrs. We currently offer support under the channels below :
- Blikoon Facebook Page
- Instructor Twitter handle
- Contact us right from the course platform
- Send us a plain old email at support[AT]blikoontech[DOT]com
- Basic understanding of the Java Programming Language
- Basic familiarity with Android Studio and the Android SDK
- Should have a PC or Mac with internet connection
- Should have the Java JDK, Android SDK and Android Studio Installed
- Nothing more , I'll teach and show you anything else you need
PreviewXMPP Explained (9:51)
StartXMPP Basic Architecture (5:10)
StartXMPP Addressing (4:01)
StartXMPP Stanzas ( Presence, IQ, Message) (16:27)
StartA Guide to XMPP Standards (11:17)
StartXMPP on Android (16:32)
StartAvailable XMPP Software for you to use (4:51)
StartA look around, Install and try XMPP Clients (12:34)
StartBuild your First XMPP Client using Smack (30:20)
Senior Software Engineer at Blikoon Technologies , lead developer of Salama, an android lifestyle app for East Africa based on XMPP and author or the currently most popular tutorial on XMPP and Smack on Android available at our blog page. He started working on XMPP based solutions back in 2013 and couldn't stop since then.